[Prev][Next][Index]

NSF and ARPA BAA update

NSF.

As you know from this list the NSF solication is out. I spent two hours
yesterday in the NSF Office of the program manager for this - Steve Funk.
Steve has just arrived from ARPA to head this up. He gave me his world
view and approach, both while at ARPA and now at NSF. He helped make the
distincition between the ARPA and NSF slices of this.

ARPA is focused on high tech integration, muds, moos, artificial
intelligence, authoring tools, simulations etc. And ARPA needs to follow
DoD contracting procedures which are limiting and restricitive. It has
the DoDDS teachers almost paranoid about talking to us about it.

NSF is in the business of cooperative agreements and advancing the
knowledge base. Therefore we can and should engage in intellectually
focused discussions on the pedagogy and design and effectiveness of the
technology in education. I am encouraging the DoDDS teachers to discuss
the Math Electronic Resource Center and virtual classrooms in that
context.  NSF would like to see more of the ARPA money go to NSF.

The NSF abstract/white paper is due DEc 15 with proposals due Feb 15

The ARPA abstract is due Dec 12, replies from ARPA by the 17th and
proposals due Jan 9. The latest on the BAA issue date is Friday this week.

We will be submitting proposals for both.

More later as I write up my notes.